So, I decided that I would wait a full month from the inception of this blog to write the first entry. However, as December 20th rolled around, I found that I was more and more preoccupied with things like sleeping, dreaming, and churning home-made ice cream. Needless to say, It is now almost a new year, and I have yet to find the time to even introduce myself.
My name is bo. I've decided in the past few months that on all of my creative work, I will use my nick name and not my given name as a signature. bo odom. No capitalization, for I find it a little more artsy, and also a little less normal. Not to say that the name "Bo" is normal. Neither is "Clarence", my real name. Clarence Guy Odom IV (the forth). I feel no need at this juncture to explain how my parents got "Bo" Out of the name Clarence, yet hopefully one of my characters will explain this in the future.
C.G.O. ?
C.G. Odom ?
Clarence G. Odom ?
C. Guy Odom ?
O. ?
Bodom?
These are only some of the ways I thought I'd sign all of my original work (Some other ideas consisted of "The Falcon" or "General Tso's brother Kevin"). But I saw a movie the other day - no need to mention the name of the movie, although it was located in Marshall, WV and all of us, and by all of us I mean "we" , were the movie - in which the director's name was listed as McG.
McG ?
Are you kidding me?
*I apologize for the rhyme. And I officially make this my apology for all rhymes in the future. I do not apologize however for not apologizing in the future for rhymes that I may or may not commit, for I have already apologized for those future rhymes here in the present. Capice?
Apparently this McG character either didn't want to inform us of either his first name or his last name (I can only assume that his last name starts with the letters M, C, and G) or the keyboard somehow stuck during the editing process, or he's too cool for school. I don't even want to guess. However, I would hope that when I IMDB that sucker, it better be his full, legal name.
Ok, so I just IMDB'd that guy, and McG is the first three letters of - you guessed it - his middle name. Idiot.
That's when all of my potential artisan names were dropped, and the lower case "bo odom" was created.
I'm guessing that usually, the first entry of any blog tries to explain what the blog will entail for the future. I absolutely feel no need to do this. The title does that for me to begin with. Even as I type right now, here in the present, I am finding it difficult not to type the following
-this blog will be the ever prevailing ramblings of a guy that, while he is sitting on the front porch of a seldom used railway house packing his cigarettes against his wrist, creates meaningless (or Aristophicleanly meaningful) stories to impress his friends, all of whom are not present at the time of the creation of the story, and therefore receive a truncated, lopsided, meandering recollection of the excellent story that was created on the porch of the railway house, which is seldom used.
I feel like everyday my mind explodes with new art and stories that I have now way of relinquishing, and therefore I wait to long, and the dreams of Penelope diving off the 100ft high dive with a back handspring and 3 and a half twists at the Olympics ends up becoming Phil jumping off the 3ft springboard and doing a misguided dive that turns up into a belly buster at my 40 year old friend Melissa's raised backyard pool.
I want a way to keep the High Dive!
But I consistently find that my inventions turn into underused, un-patented, garble that I pass on to no one.
I hope you enjoy reading.
I might not care if you don't enjoy. Maybe I will.
Feel free to respond.
I might not read your responses, but feel free to respond with criticism, encouragement, new art, new ideas.
Packing Cigarettes Against My Wrist.
New pieces of art by bo odom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment